Sunday, August 6, 2017

Death Wish (2017) Trailer


So this came out the other day much to my surprise.  I had heard rumblings that a Death Wish remake was in the cards but I hadn't heard anything for some time and I presumed that it was stuck in some type of development hell.

If I'm reading it right this is a remake of the 1974 film and not a reinterpretation of Brian Garfield's 1972 novel.

One of the obvious changes from both sources is the action is moved to Chicago but that's not too big a deviation as the main character Paul Kersey (in the movies) and Paul Benjamin (in the books) moves to Chicago at the end of both.  The novel's sequel Death Sentence by Brian Garfield was set in Chicago.  (The odd numbered movies are set in New York and the even numbered in Los Angeles, the 2007 Kevin Bacon movie Death Sentence (Based on the novel) was set in Columbia, South Carolina)

The film seems to create a visual call back to Unbreakable (as Willis' David Dunn wears his rain poncho with the hood up in the same way as Dr Paul Kersey wears the hood up on his hoodie)  and I've seen it pointed out the visual similarity of Paul Kersey to Denzel Washington's Robert  McCall in The Equalizer 2014.

The script was written by Joe Carnahan who wrote and directed Smoking Aces and The A Team, and has written the script for the Uncharted movie.

I'm intrigued by this movie and I look forward to seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment