Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Section Zero: Volume 0

Wayyyyyyyyy back in 2000, there was a new comic Section Zero.  I had enjoyed the Writer Karl Kesel's previous work on Hawk and Dove and Superboy.  Tom Grummett was the artist on Superboy.  I was interested to say the least.

The first issue introduced Section Zero, a team of paranormal investigators operating under the terms of the mysterious Section Zero of the United Nations Charter.

(the TV Series Agent X used a similar conceit for its premise - exceept it had the United States Constitution)

We met Doc Titania Challenger, Sam Wildman and Telsa, the current team where they find and recruit Thom Talesi a young boy who got a bug tattoo and everytime he touches it becomes a giant bug for 24 hours.

One of Thom's lines to Titania Challenger "You're from the most famous family of explorers and adventurers in the world." Inspired me to write my Wold Newton Article The Challenging Rutherfords  I even used the line as the subtitle of the article.

This was a cool series, after finding Thom the team head to Australia to investigate sheep killing that appeared to be the work of a big cat.    (Mysterious big cat sightings in Australia are a thing) But this mystery was soon solved and replaced with a bigger mystery or three.

Issue 3 headed to the sewers of New York to deepen the mystery.

And then the publisher Gorilla comics went bust and the series was only half done.

I had the three issues and i presumed that it would be unlikely that the story would ever be finished.

Then I hear there is a Kickstarter, Karl and Tom want to finish the story they started 18 years ago.  Shut up and take my money,

Finally the complete story was in my hands.

THis was not the intial story but rather one that incorporated the time jump to see Thom as the new team leader and several new members of the team.

I really enjoyed this story and Kesel sets up a mythology that covers from the 50s until today and the prologue identifies some of those teams.  Section Zero has the scope to tell stories for a 70 year period.

Kesel has promised other books and I'll be on board for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment