Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Girl Factory by Robert Franklin Murphy (1976)

originally posted Friday, February 10, 2006 11:38:25 PM


The first of 2 novels in the Girl Factory series serves as a good adventure as well as an introduction to Su-Lin Kelly. Su-Lin is the daughter of adventurer Chinese Kelly and his mistress at the Shan Tal Cloister. After the death of her parents, Su is raised at the Cloister and trained in the arts (scholarly, martial and erotic). She then leaves as a companion for Rene Cartes, who marries her on his death bed.

Wealthy from this union, Su-Lin avenges her husband's death and discovers he was a top intelligence agent. Su-Lin then takes over his network and becomes a freelance agent. In this adventure Su-Lin is between assignments when she is contacted by an old friend who alerts her to a cloning technique called Quantum Growth which can make a full grown copy of any person which is up for sale.

Su-Lin evading hitmen and making sexual encounters, discovers that Quantum Growth is connected to the Shan Tal Cloister.

I won't spoil the ultimate surprise but Su-Lin discovers much about herself as well as stopping a plot to clone the world's leaders. The novel is also known as Man Made Woman.

5 comments:

  1. Confusing, Brad. I ordered King's Mate and Man Made Woman, thinking I was ordering the first two stories in the series. Is this a mistake, or is both titles the same (#2 in the series)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom, book 1 is known as both The Girl Factory and Man Made Woman. the second book is King's Mate. So you have both books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little more digging and it appears that the reference book I got my information from is incorrect. Back in 2007-2009, I'd only found the first two books and Robert Simpkins THE WHOLE STORY listed The Girl Factory as the same book as The Man Made Woman. I did several internet searches and nothing seemed to contradict this.

      But after your comment I thought I'd have another internet search and it turns out that there are three books in this series 1 ) The Girl Factory 2) King's Mate 3) The Man Made Woman

      http://www.spyguysandgals.com/sgShowChar.asp?ScanName=Kelly_Su_Lin

      Delete
  3. Thanks Brad. I will have two different books, then (whew). I'll have to run down the first one in the series after I read these two. Appreciate the heads up on the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I'll have to hunt down the third book now myself.

      Delete